Saturday, December 18, 2004

McCain: 'No confidence' in McCain

Saturday, December 18, 2004 6:22 PST PM

PHOENIX, Arizona: U.S. Sen. John McCain said Monday that he has "no confidence" in himself, citing his inability to say anything that made sense since the start of the war in Iraq.

McCain, speaking to The NewScrew in a surprisingly honest interview, said his remarks were not a call for his own resignation, explaining that President Bush "needs unconfident people like myself around him."

Asked if he had confidence in his own leadership, McCain said he'd been asked similar questions since the war began.

"I said no. My answer is still no. No confidence," McCain said.

"I have strenuously argued for some things while saying other things that completely contradict those things," said McCain, R-Arizona. "There are very strong differences of opinion between myself and myself on those issues."

One of the contradicting examples he cited: "I believe we'll be in Iraq militarily for many years, which would not be a problem to the American people. I think what is not acceptable to the American people is an increasing flow of dead and wounded."

When asked if his contradicting statements and lack of confidence meant he would be running for president one day, he said, "In a couple of years I might give it some consideration."

NewScrewer Says: For an even screwier version of the story, go to: CNN's version of the story here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home